Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 Goals

I've been having a great trip in the U.S.  Vegas trip, Christmas with my family in AZ, engagement, New Years with Sara, relaxing and sleeping in.  I'll have a post with some pictures once I get back to Germany, but here is my annual post about my New Year's goals

First, let's take a look back at my goals from 2013 to see how I did.
  • Learn German at 3/3 level - this took two tries at the test, but I did pass.  Sadly, I doubt I am still at the 3/3 level.
  • Watch two sunrises and two sunsets - This goal is pretty easy in Germany where the sun doesn't rise until 830 am in winter and sets on my way home from work. 
  • Weigh under 220 pounds by New Years 2014 (this is losing an additional 35 pounds) - Excluding any holiday weight I have put on this week, I beat this goal by 11 pounds, reaching 209 when I left Germany.
  • Read 25 books - I failed at this one miserably.  I might have finished 10 books at most for the year.
  • Visit at least 6 countries (not counting USA or Germany) - Italy, France (barely), Belgium, Austria, The Netherlands (drove through), USA, Germany.  Didn't hit this one either, probably because I came back to the USA more than I probably expected when I made this list.  Totally worth it.
  • Attend at least one Bundesliga soccer match - Went with Shelley
  • Attend at least three concerts - Fun., Flobots, and Counting Crows
  • Run a 5K in under 30 minutes - Did this one twice - Lawyers have Heart 5k and Turkey Trot 5k
  • Complete a 10K race - Ran the Capitol Hill 10k
  • Complete the Cherry Blossom 10 miler and at least one other long race (10 miles or more) - Pretty much destroyed this one.  Not only did I do the Cherry Blossom run, but I also ran a half marathon and a full marathon.

2014 Goals

  • Get married
  • Complete at least two races over 10 miles.  Improve on times from my prior races of same length.
  • Get tenured and promoted at work
  • Visit at least ten countries, at least four of which are new countries.
  • Watch at least two sunrises and sunsets
  • Read 15 books
  • Don't go more than 60 days without seeing Sara
  • Do a pull up
  • Do 50 sit-ups in 5 minutes
  • Attend at least two concerts, two soccer matches and one football game

4 comments:

  1. FSO-to-be here. The pull-up and sit-up goals are very doable - actually I bet you could easily get to 10 pull-ups (or more) in a year with a moderate level of consistency and effort. You can buy what is essentially a really thick rubber band to assist you with pull-ups. They come in different strengths so you can subtract ~25lbs, ~10lbs, etc. from your normal weight, and thereby do more at a time. Other than general weight loss, just doing pull-ups is by far the best way to get better at them. Get a couple of the bands and do pull-ups 2-3 days a week. You'll be able to do one without assistance very quickly.

    Best of luck with your goals! Hope my gratuitous advice helps.

    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Get tenured and promoted at work" I though FSO are automatically tenured after 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Get tenured and promoted at work" I though FSO are automatically tenured after 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No - FSOs are eligible for tenure after 3 years, 4 years, and 5 years. Failure to get tenure on the third try leads to dismissal (rare, but does happen)

    ReplyDelete