Friday, November 22, 2013

Middle School Reunions, IKEA, and ice skating

I'm back in the US for two weeks and having a pretty good time so far.  Landed Tuesday night and Sara picked me up from the airport.  We went for dinner at this awesome Indian restaurant that she has been telling me about for 10 months (Rasika for those in DC).  The food was really fantastic - I've really started to get into Indian food.  It's delicious and I wish it hadn't taken me 30 years to discover it.
 On Wednesday, I had a middle school nerd reunion scheduled.  When I was in 8th grade, a group of five of us took our core classes at the high school in the morning before returning to the middle school for the afternoon.  Out of the five of us, we have three law school grads, one on his way to law school/grad school, and the last one has at least a master's degree.  Anyway, through facebook, I realized that four of the five of us lived in/close to DC, so we organized a reunion.  Unfortunately, Corinne had to cancel to go a job interview, but I saw Katie for the first time in fifteen years.

Yesterday, I spent the day putting together two IKEA dressers for Sara and supervising a handyman who came to do some repairs on her house.  Then last night, she surprised me with date night.  We started off with a dinner at a Lebanese restaurant - yummy - and then followed that up with ice skating.  I haven't been skating for probably 5+ years.  We were both pretty awkward at first, but got more comfortable on the ice as we made our way around the rink.  The cutest part of the night were these two middle eastern girls (2 and 4 years old) who were skating for the first time in their life.  Their mother didn't know how to skate, so Sara and I helped take them around the ice.  (The rink has these little penguins, which children can use to hold on to when they learn to skate).  It was fun to see the girls go from scared to more and more confident.  By the time we left, the girls were skating on their own with the penguins.  Between Sara and I, we only fell one time (not saying who fell, but s/he had to buy the hot chocolate afterwards).

So far, a pretty good trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment