Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Meeting people on the road less traveled

I was thinking about the famed Robert Frost poem, The Road Not Taken, today.  The final three lines have always spoken to me.

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and I -
I took the road less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

When you take the less traveled road, you get to see and do things that most people don't.  The less traveled road has always seemed more adventurous, more fun, more spirited, more daring.  Frankly, I have thought of the road less traveled as distinctly the better road (which, when you think about it, is counter-intuitive).

The biggest downside of the less traveled road has always been that it is, by definition, the lonelier road.  But, I no longer think that is necessarily true.  My road has gone from Omaha to Shenandoah to Kirksville to St. Louis to Washington DC to Belize, with several detours to Europe.  No one has made this entire journey with me, but I have never really been walking alone.  Each leg of the journey has simply had different companions.  Meeting these new companions is the best part of the journey.  So, I shall continue to take the road less traveled by.


1 comment:

  1. You've summed up so well the feelings of a lot of FSOs. Not just FSOs I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete