Saturday, July 9, 2011

Things I'm looking forward to in Germany

As you can probably imagine, I have spent quite a bit of time thinking/reading/talking/obsessing about my second  tour.  Several of my good friends and classmates have gotten their assignments as well - they are headed to Rio de Janiero, Managua, Tokyo, Trinidad and Tobago, Guatemala City, Jerusalem, Prague, Paris, Bangkok, Albania, and many others.  I found out the officer going to Berlin came from Haiti and the officer going to Prague came from Saudi Arabia.  In all honesty, they deserved those posts more than I did.  Still don't know who got Rome or Budapest, but I can tell you that they earned it.

But I have spent most of the past five days dreaming about my future life in Germany.  I honestly didn't know much about Frankfurt other than it was in Germany and that it had a big airport.  But after a bit more research, here are a list of 10 things I am looking forward to in Frankurt


  1. The food - Sausages, Schnitzel and Sauerkraut.  Plus, Frankfurt will have many more options that Belize lacks.  I will not miss rice and beans (although I don't eat it that often here).
  2. The beer - German beer, enough said.
  3. The traveling - Germany is in the heart of Europe and Frankfurt is in the heart of Germany.  The trains can take you anywhere in Europe and the planes can take you direct to anywhere in the world.  There is also Ryan Air airport near the city.
  4. Family - My family hosted a German exchange student my senior year in high school.  I will definitely get the opportunity to see him and to speak to him in his native German.  Plus, I will be relatively close to my host sister Marta in Torino and my host family in Esenta.
  5. Promptness - Germans are stereotypically on time and do not like tardiness.  I will prefer "German Time" over "Belize Time."
  6. Living in a city again - although I am a small town boy from Iowa, I kind of liked living in the city and welcome the opportunity to having standard big city options again.
  7. Concerts - Every major American band that tours Europe always seems to stop in Frankfurt.  My friend Kevin, who used to work in the music industry, said one of the largest music festivals in the world is in Frankfurt each year.
  8. Octoberfest in Munich - I've always wanted to go and now I will.
  9. The Bundesliga and Champions League - I will happily start following German soccer (football).  I will not root for Bayern Munich, rather I will support whatever is the main local Frankfurt team.
  10. The autobahn - even though I have little to no desire to drive as fast as I can, I will enjoy smooth roads after another year in Belize.

1 comment:

  1. The guy going to Hungary was in my A-100; he's coming from Caracas.

    ReplyDelete