Tuesday, June 28, 2011

All a part of the job

I've had a sad case this past week.  This 18 year old American citizen moved to Belize when he was 9 or 10 with his adopted family.  After a falling out with his adopted mother, he has basically been on his own since he was 14 or 15.  He recently found some of his biological siblings and has arranged to move in with a sister back in the States.

As we were preparing all the paperwork, he asked me how he flies - what does he do at the airport, etc.  I spent ten minutes talking to him about how to go through an airport and then wrote down instructions for him.  I feel so bad for this kid - no one should have to go through what he has gone through.  And kids ask their parents what to do in an airport, not me.

The worst part about all of this is that he is getting his hopes up that all of his problems will go away when he gets together with his biological family, but the odds of that seem small to me.  This is definitely one of those times when I am glad that I can help, but I wish I could do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment