Friday, February 4, 2011

Losing and gaining friends

People come and go.  It's a part of my life that I have to get used to.  But some people leaving is harder than others.  From my first days here, I have been closer to Aaron and Brianne than anyone else in Belmopan.  Aaron took me out and introduced me to everyone around town.  They were the couple that was closest to me in age and who didn't have kids.  Most of the fun stuff I have done in Belize has been with one or both of them.  When I needed someone to talk to when my Nanu was sick, I talked to Aaron.  Sure, I've only known them for 8 months, but you have to make fast friends in this life and Aaron and Brianne were good friends.  Of all the people in Belmopan, they are the only people who I know I will see after I leave Belmopan.  If we are ever posted to the same continent, we will make that trip together.
Aaron and Brianne - you will be missed in this small corner of the world that is Belmopan.
In other news, I apparently made a friend this week as well.  Unfortunately, it wasn't the kind of friend you hope to make.  A few months back, at a Christmas party, I met a friend of a friend.  We talked for a while and I got her number from my friend.  We've gone on a few dates and both had a good time.  And while I was hoping this would develop into something more, I found out this week that I've moved into the "friend zone."  In the grand scheme of things, not a big deal, but with such a limited dating pool here, you have to hope for the best when an opportunity presents itself.  I think Nada Surf put it best: 

"Be prepared for the boy to feel hurt and rejected/
Even if you've gone together for a short time and haven't been too serious/
There is still a feeling of rejection when someone says/
She prefers the company of others to your exclusive company..."
Nada Surf - Popular

No comments:

Post a Comment