Friday, July 9, 2010

Changes... they are a coming

This was a busy short week at work.  Summer is our high time for visas.  This still only amounts to about 60 or so visas a day, but combined with all the other duties, it can be busy.

Moreover, next week is my boss's last week.  His temporary replacement comes this weekend and will work through the summer.  Then, the permanent new Consular chief arrives at the end of the summer.  One of the other vice-consuls will also leave in another 3 weeks.  His replacement won't arrive until sometime in September, so we will be down to 3 officers until then.  It's kind of weird how the transitions work in this business.  The two people who have trained me how to do my job will both be nothing but blips in my two years here.

In more personal news, one of my uncle's died this week.  That's my Uncle Johnny in the bottom left of the photo, the last time I saw him.  He was my Mom's oldest brother.  When I was growing up, we'd always get together for one of the holidays and my Dad and uncles would play poker.  We young kids always wanted to play.  It was great when we were finally old enough to play.  One of our favorite games was called "Shit on your neighbor" and it was a high-low game.  Uncle Johnny ALWAYS went for low.  He could be dealt a pair of kings and he would just fold the hand because it wasn't low.

Johnny hasn't been healthy for years, and he has been really sick recently.  It wasn't a surprise that he passed away, but it is still sad.  My parents haven't had the easiest time in the past year and especially the past week. So, if you are the praying type, please say a prayer for my Mom, my Uncle Johnny and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment