Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Starting to say goodbye

After visiting my immediate family in Vegas and Phoenix, I made my way to Omaha to visit my extended family.  A little over a week ago, I had sent out a facebook invite (and a few phone calls) to invite everyone to a going-away dinner.  I hoped a few people might be able to make it out, but the turnout was amazing.  I had 28 aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents show up. Pretty much everyone who I am related to in the Omaha area came by.  As one Aunt put it, "This is an amazing turnout considering nobody died."  It really meant a lot to me to see everyone before I left, so thank you to all of you who came out.

The reason I could only stay one day in Omaha was that one of my great friends from high school, Kris, was getting married on Saturday in Nebraska City.  Not only did I get to see Kris marry his beautiful bride, Beth, but I got to hang out with two of my other great high school friends Ann and Sam.  (I also got to eat lunch with Betsy, who was just back from Tanzania).
Of course, while getting to see everyone was fantastic, I also had to say goodbye.  It was a little sad, but I've said goodbye to these friends before and we've always made our way back to each other.  So, while Ann and Betsy may be married by then and Kris and Beth will be parents, we will hopefully all get back together again in the future (that is what home leave is for, right?)

I have a lot more goodbyes this week with my going-away party on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment