Thursday, February 18, 2010

First Week and Bid List

I've gotten at least three lectures about blogging about the Foreign Service, so I am being careful about what I say.  That being said - I GOT MY BID LIST TODAY.  While I can't divulge the list, I can say there are some pretty cool places on there.  Lots of posts in Latin America and Africa.  I had never heard of a few of the posts.  Only a few in Europe.  No Italian posts. :(  Overall, I am very happy with my options.  I have to turn in the list a week from tomorrow.

It seems to be a cliche, but the group of people I am in class with is very impressive.  Lots of highly educated, highly traveled, multilingual, talented people.  We have journalists, doctors (PHD), lawyers (lots of us), a documentary filmmaker, bankers (lots of them too), a few recent graduates, and a few government employees.  Most of the people are in their late 20s or early 30s, but the ages run from at least 22 to early 50s.  About 50/50 on married/single and about 1/4 seem to have kids.  About 1/3 of the people seem to be local hires, with Seattle and Texas being well represented as well.  Most people have spent significant amounts of time overseas, but we have at least one guy who has never left the country.

For the most part, the classes have been interesting.  My days are going by so much quicker than when I was at the Coast Guard.  I am really enjoying myself at work.  I am making great benefits with the per diem.  And my maid cleaned my apartment today.  Yeah, that's right - my maid.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment